Chairperson – Dr. Subhabrata Gangopadhyay (ex-officio)
Vice Chairperson – Ms. Debjani Ganguly
|Name of the Members||Designation||Responsibility|
|1. Ms. Debanjana Chakravarti (Political Science)
2. Ms. Shreya Bhattacharya (Sociology)
|Co-ordinators||1. Responsible for calling meetings and keeping updated minutes, action taken reports and getting it signed on a monthly basis by the Head of the Institution.
2. To submit quarterly report to the IQAC
3. To organize at least three activities related to women’s empowerment and opportunities / gender sensitisation / general women’s issues during the session.
4. Maintaining records of participation, feedback, and updated reports.
|1. Ms. Atreyee Ganguly (Commerce)
2. Ms. Vidisha Roy (Psychology)
3. Dr. Souraja Tagore (English)
4. Dr. Sampa Sinha Basu (Bengali)
5. Ms. Gargi (B. Com)
|Members||1. To assist the coordinators in contacting resource persons and making all arrangements for the programmes.
2. To assist in keeping updated data and reports.
Objectives of the Committee
- The primary objective of the Women’s Cell is to assert the importance of creating social awareness about the problems of women and to shed light on gender discrimination by focussing on the significance of social, racial and economic equality.
- The second objective of the cell is to propound the importance of health and hygiene, not just restricted to the physical body but also mental, spiritual and psychological well-being. The cell encourages students to voice their thoughts and share their experiences. It works towards providing a comfortable, nurturing and supportive environment where students can talk about their anxieties, problems, difficulties and fears and find solutions.
- The cell also organises seminars, webinars, workshops and campaigns relating to overall personality development of women, which would strengthen their status at home and outside and help them find their true potential. The goal is to help women in recognising skills and talents that would enable them to attain their own place in a competitive world.
- Another aim is to provide a platform to young women for discussions and deliberations on a wide range of issues, from empowerment, health awareness and community living to decision-making, stress management, mental and physical challenges. This would enhance their confidence and self-esteem, making them more self-reliant and capable of making pertinent decisions in their own lives.
- The cell aims to train and spread awareness amongst students, as well as women outside the campus, about their rights as citizens of the country as well as impart adequate knowledge about the procedures and prosecutions of acts of discrimination and consequences of sexual harassment.
Achievements of the cell during the period July19-June 2020
During this period the cell successfully organised the following programmes.
Venue: College auditorium
Title: Still I Rise: Women Empowerment in a patriarchal society.
Speakers: Ms Sparshita Garg, first class judicial magistrate, Assam Judicial Services, Sonitpur, Tezpur
Ms Sushmita Basu, counsellor, Family Counselling Centre
ELMHIRST Institute of Community Studies, Santiniketan
Chaired by Dr Sharmila Rau Kumam , presiding officer, ICC, Loreto College
Dr Indrakshi Ghosh, department of economics, Behala College
Social outreach programme
Venue: Shanti Rani Home, Bansdroni, Kolkata
The students of the sociology department staged a play for the residents. There was a career show and an interactive session between students and residents. A quiz competition and song and dance performances were also put up by the residents of the home.
Faculty members from the Women’s Cell and the Department of Sociology were also present.
Topic: No Lockdown on Domestic Violence During the Covid Pandemic
Speaker: Dr Sohini Banerjee
Participants: Faculty and students from The Bhawanipur Education Society College and other colleges and universities across the country.
- To conduct workshops for awareness amongst women on how to fight sexual harassment at the workplace.
- To conduct social outreach programmes in collaboration with Ramakrishna Sarada Mission.
- To organise workshops for self-defence amongst the students of the college to equip them for any eventuality.
- To work in a sustained manner with the women of North and South 24 Parganas on self-help with a tie-up with NGOs.
No. of meetings held: 6.8.2019 , 2.03.20, 19.05 ( GOOGLE MEET) , Whattsapp Women’s Cell Group since 28.05 till 9.05.20.